Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Victory



I think Ive been on a constant high since last Tuesday. It would be safe to say that everyone has. Victory has been won! All of the non-believers, pessimists and conspiracy theorists have all witnessed change. Anyone who thought that the American Dream was unattainable has now begun to think again. This reminds me of a moment that took place in high school. I remember it vividly. I remember sitting in my favorite class...English. It was 9th grade and Mr. Rapson asked me as we as a class discussed one of books we were currently reading...(Manchild in the Promised Land, I think it was). I can remember him looking at me and asking if I believed in the American Dream. That was back in my AngelaDavisIwannabearevolutionary days, so although I had been taught The American Dream was attaintable I still remained doubtful. I was a cynic and a conspiracy theorist who thought that black people would only get their piece of the pie if they were lucky. I wanted to believe in it but if that were the case why was there such a disparity between blacks and whites? Why did my mother struggle to take care of me? Why didnt my family have a place where we "summered"?
Over the years I became more hopeful. After last Tuesday I have become CERTAIN. This was a wake up call for African Americans who were as uncertain as I that ANYTHING is possible. This years election had people thirsting for CHANGE. We got it. I am proud of my people and want everyone to see that this is not the end of the road. White america has changed more than we thought and there is still a long way to go. People were at the polls voting this year that had never thought twice about voting. We had thugs voting! Rappers pushing their fans! There were people raising money and donating their time. Actors, Rappers, Singers and comedians banned together to enocourage America to wake up.

Like a fresh pot of coffee, America has seeminly gotten a whiff and woken up and I hope that we continue to stay awake, continue fighting and keep yearning for our piece of the pie because if you want it bad enough there is NOTHING that can stop you from getting it. NOTHING!

1 comments:

Angel said...

I agree hun!

There is nothing that can stop you in this world, keep pushing to achieve!