Thursday, October 23, 2008

Homemade Happy Hour

As usual I have these sudden urges to have company. The hostel always has room for 5 more…visitors that is. Yesterday I sat at work wondering what I could get in to besides just going home after work and doing the usual. So as I sat I decide to gchat my girl and invite her over for a little Wine while viewing Top Model. She's a frisky little kitty like the rest of my crew so I knew she'd be down to come over. Later on in my noworkjustgchatallday work day I speak to my roomie/bff and tell her I'll probably be cooking din din. She then suggests we turn it into birthday dinner for a mutual friend of ours (also the man who is currently trying to put a ring on it. Hers not mine!) In true Pepperred fashion I then let it be known to everyone on gchat that we will be having wine and watching Top Model at the Hostel. The more the merrier! Din din is cooked by 7:30. The birthday boy arrived first…hmmmmm…how will I wish him a happy birthday sincerely? I know! Go get the limes, Salt, shot glasses and…what else? TEQUILA! Wow. Yes. Going hard on a Wednesday. Its what we do. Even Ms. Homebody is downstairs hanging out with us! She EVEN took a shot!


Soon 3 more guests make it inside. One of which I didn't even know was coming. Oh wait, backup; did I mention that one of the guests brought their dog? In a fur coat at that! Fab. She walks in with that old school Franzia. Whatcha know about that? So I bring out my bottle of wine too. One of the big boys. Pour it up and sit back and watch Top Model. There are 9 people in the house at this point. Not everyone is drinking. Only about 4 out of the 9 are indulging in this splendid and thrifty purchase from Shop Rite. Before Top Model has even ended we have gone thru a big boy and I am on my way to go get the next one. Gotta always have a backup! Uh oh! Someone wants to do another shot of Jose. (We don't typically drink Jose anymore but it was leftover from Homecoming weekend. Sue me) I run back to the kitchen like a Jamaican at the Olympics and cut up some limes and grab the salt. Here we gooooo! Happy 30th birthday! Sike. I lap up the load of salt that looks like its just been dumped on my hand by a Tonka trunk. We take the shot and chase it with a lime. You know the routine. Awww shit. Wine…now Tequila. This isn't going to be good. What am I thinking?! This is not college. Oh well. It's Wednesday and it's a recession. That's reason enough. We break for less that 2 minutes and all grab our wine glasses and continue drinking. Lawd. We are slightly saddened by Tyra's choice of who gets the boot so we take another sip of wine in memory of our fellow sista girl who just got dissed. Guess all we've got is baby Kimora now. Sigh


Our fellow rent payer,friend and my crew's favorite DJ is sitting there like she doesn't know her que. Since she doesn't I remind her. "Ummmmm. Go play some of that old school playlist you made from the last wine party we had." (You don't get black folks drunk and don't give em' some music to jam to!) She was on it pronto. 5 minutes later we were in there hands waving in the air, two stepping, shuffling, slidin', and c walkin' like there was no tomorrow. Finally we realize that we all have jobs that we must report to in the morning not class. People head back to their homes or to whatever destination is going to provide them with a "good" nights sleep. The hostel puts up their sign. We are closed for the night but back open again tomorrow.

6am: My bladder wakes me up right on time. Time for my routine trip to the bathroom. My head and stomach are getting the last laugh. What was I thinking again? Wine and Tequila? Not such a good a idea. I open the hall closet, grab the bottle of Aleeve, head to my bedroon and grab the Dasani bottle on the nightstand. Lord please make this go away by 7:30 when I wake up...

0 comments: