Monday, October 27, 2008

Weekend at a glance

Friday...

My Friday night started with me running out of the office and going to a Happy Hour with my bff and her coworkers. It was a good mix of black and white...young and old. (That's all their is in the town ya know?) Everyone seemed very cool especially the boss lady who definitely had a lot of "soul" for a white girl. Everyone was very welcoming and chatty so naturally I jumped right in as if they were coworkers of my own and this was the end of a long work week together. I was entertained talking to a Caucasian gentleman who was well dressed but sounded like Revenge of the Nerds when he opened his mouth. Have you ever met someone who cleary wants to talk about something in particular but keeps tip toeing around the subject until someone just comes out and says spill it already? This guy kept talking about women he has dated and for some reason he let it be known that he doesnt date other caucasian women. Not at all. Ever. It just so happened that all of the women who were sitting in this section of the table were Black. We all laugh and lean in a little closer as if he had just spoken to us in Farsi. We ask follow up questions just to be clear and he explains this to us again...and to our surprise, not in Farsi like we previously thought. He says that he doesnt date white women at all...ever, for any reason...no way, no how, nuh unh. He didnt even have an explanation as to why he avoids them like the plague. He just does. We laugh again because we're prone hearing black men saying dumb shit like this about black women so hearing a white man say he doesnt date white women was kind of like..."Ah ha! Take that black men who dont know how to appreciate what queens we are!" Whew! That was definitely the highlight of Happy Hour for me.

Sidenote/background info into what Im about to tell you... A very good girlfriend of mine who has/had a boyfriend (who knows what they are now) recently got caught in a very compromising (cheating) situation. (not necessarily sexual) Basically I got word of it (concrete evidence) and I presented my friend with the info I had. All of this evidence received via gchat was kindly forwarded to the victim. The "other woman", (We'll call her "Liv"...who also has a signigifant other) got word that I was the tattletale. She was now apparently in some ish of her own because her boo somehow found out that was doing dirt. Whatever the case may be, she wasnt pleased with the situation OR with me. Blah. I could care less about her angry, resentful feelings. I shared the information that was given to me out of my loyalty to my friend and not for any other reason. She and I had met a few times through mutual friends but she didnt remember who i was exactly and after the incident she was dying to put a face with a name.

Following the interesting conversation with the white guy "LIV" walks through the door and she's coming to sit with us! (She work's in DC's favorite industry) Everyone damn near gives her a standing ovation as she walks in. I grin and look at her and wonder if she will sit in the empty seat thats right next to ME that her friend saved for her. She doesnt. Instead she sits at the head of the table. She barely even looks at me. This makes me laugh even more. I continue on in my conversation with the others. As people start to leave she scoots in closer. Now she is sitting almost right across from me. Still no words are exchanged although we are both talking to the same people. Oh well...


Saturday...

I get up early and begin cleaning the house and also problem solving since Im on phone duty for my job this weekend. (booooo) People are idiots I tell ya. I had to do a few tone checks because my words are lethal when Im frustrated. I washed my hair so it was fresh and flowy for the night. The girls and I filled up the water bottle with the special weekend blend and hit the streets of Washington. We went to a few clubs/bar and settled at a birthday party for a friend that we used to go to college with. There was good mix of familiar faces and strange ones too. One of which looked like Shrek and wanted to converse with me. My name was "Natasha" that night. The night ended with me and my bff arguing (everyone else sighing and laughin b/c they've heard this debate 20 times over) in the car about how I never give any guy a chance. I said "did you see the ears on that thing?!" Bff goes ahead and continues to explain that this is why my ass is STILL single. What can I say? I like what I like. This leads me to the next blog entry about Deal breakers and what is reasonable and just plain shallow.


Sun...

Went to a football game to see my sorry ass team play. They suck but I love them anyway. We left at half time and went to a bar to continue watching them get their asses kicked. As least we won one last week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous account of your weekend...

1. Homeboy at the bar sounds just as ridiculous as these black men running around saying that they only date white women. All people are different... there are some cool ass white chicks and some crazy ass black chicks... and vice versa. It sounds like black women are some type of novelty item to him and he felt he could gain "cool points" by bringing it up to a group of black women. Foolishness.

2. Who cares about that girl and whether she talked to you... sounds like she has her own issues to deal with. What is DCs favorite industry and why was everyone so glad to see her???

3. LMAO @ Shrek! My question is... if there were all these other new faces at the party, why didn't you politely excuse yourself from the Shrek conversation and start you talking to some of them??? And maybe Shrek wasn't that bad, lol... what exactly was his problem??

Anonymous said...

1. I never stated that the white said he only dated black women. He just said that he didnt date white women. Either way...it wasnt impressive more like shockingly hilarious that he would say something like that.

3.I didnt nickname him Shrek for nothing! lol Im working on giving guys a chance. I can be very closeminded when it comes to having men match the picture I have drawn inside my head.(That picture would sort of be a modern day version of Dwayne Wayne) Also, I dont approach men. My philosophy is that if a man is interested he will holla and if he's not then he won't.